Sleeping on a memory foam mattress feels like a hug at night. Now, who wants a hug from dirt and bacteria on the gross? Nobody wants to sleep with bacteria and germs. According to the studies, an individual sheds 30,000-40,000 dead cells per minute. And an average person sleeps for approximately 8 hours. So, you can calculate how dirty your mattress becomes with this. Therefore, memory foam mattress cleaning becomes a major concern. Moreover, these germs and bacteria attract other insects and it may cause severe diseases. Therefore, it concludes that your memory foam mattress cleaning is not an option but a necessity. Your mattress could appear clean but on a microscopic level, it is definitely not 100% clean. Therefore, you should make a habit of mattress steam cleaning once every six months.
How To Clean Your Memory Foam Mattress?
Memory foam mattress cleaning is a tedious and difficult task. But here are some tips to make it easy and effective:
- Check Instruction Manual Carefully- Every mattress has different methods to keep it neat and clean. It is necessary to check the user manual guide that comes with the mattress. The manufacturer will suggest to you the best way to keep your mattress safe and clean. Read the manual thoroughly.
- Wash your Mattress Cover Regularly- If your mattress has a removable cover, then you should wash it regularly. It helps to protect the dust from sticking to the mattress. This makes the mattress look clean and fresh. The air sacs get clean and protect the mattress from getting dirty. If your mattress does not have a removable cover, there are solutions for that also as mentioned below.
- Clean the mattress using lukewarm water – Memory foam mattress cleaning is a delicate task. While cleaning the mattress, if you put more water, it could damage the foam inside and thereby damage the whole mattress. To avoid this, it is recommended to use lukewarm water as it loosens the dirt particles and makes them easy to clean. Spray lukewarm water all over the mattress and gently wipe it with a damp cloth.
- Use detergents to clean the mattress – Making use of detergents requires a knowledge of the quantity to be used. If you use less detergent, it will not help. Or if you use more detergent, it will start damaging the mattress instead of cleaning it. So, you need to use detergents carefully.
- Do Not Let the Stains Dry- Try to clean the stain in the wet state only as it is easy in that case. When the stain becomes dry, the dirt molecules bind themselves more and are hard to eliminate. Wipe the mattress with a damp cloth and soak all the moisture. Then let it dry in the air for some time.
- Vacuum Regularly- Develop a habit of vacuuming your memory foam mattress regularly. While changing your sheets vacuum the mattress to remove excess dirt and keep the mattress clean.
- Wash Your Sheets Regularly- Wash your sheets twice a month. Clean it at a high temperature to kill bacteria and dust mites. After washing let them dry properly in the sunlight to ensure effective and safe cleaning.
- Mattress Cleaning solution- You can clean most of the stains using a mattress cleaning solution. It is made up of a diluted fabric cleaner, dishwashing liquid, or mild detergent. It is proven effective against most stains. This has to be taken in the ratio of 2:1, where 2 is for warm water and 1 for the cleaning solution. For tough solutions make a solution of ¾ cup water and ¼ cup white vinegar. Put in a spray bottle and spray over the stain, let it rest, and wipe with a damped cloth.
Going through these measures and tips to keep your memory foam mattress safe must have made things easy for you. Small stains are easy to handle and can be done by yourself. But for bigger stains, you must call a professional before it gets worse.